The ninja star, or “shuriken“, is an ancient ninja weapon. It’s also a great origami model!
Let’s take a look at how to make an origami ninja star…
* This is a simple modular origami model, so you’ll need two pieces of paper, with dimensions of 2×1 (one side is twice as long as the other).
* The easiest way to get these is to take a regular square of origami paper and cut or tear it in half along the centre line. I prefer to crease it well in both directions, dampen the edge and then carefully tear, but you might find scissors easier.
* Once you’ve got two 2×1 pieces, fold them in half so that you they are are 4×1 in size. To create a two-tone ninja star like this one, fold one sheet with a mountain fold and the other with a valley fold. You could also use two different coloured sheets.
* Now fold these in half vertically, so you’re back to 2×1 pieces. Crease, then unfold to the previous step.
* Fold the bottom half of one piece diagonally up to meet the crease from the previous step.
* Turn the piece 180 degrees and repeat. You should end up with a zig-zag shape.
* Repeat with the other piece, but fold in the opposite direction so that you create a mirror-image of the first piece.
* Turn both pieces over.
* Now fold the outsideedges in to meet the vertical lines on the back of each piece.. You want to end up with two triangular shapes together.
* Make sure that both pieces are still mirror images.
* Fold the outer part across the vertical line you used in the previous step. You should now have two mirror-image parallelograms.
* Turn one piece over, and partially unfold the last step so you have two points facing upwards on one piece, and down on the other piece. Cross the pieces over.
* Now fold a point from the bottom piece across the top piece. Tuck it into the pocket in the middle of the top piece.
* Do the same with the other bottom point.
* Flip the pieces over.
* Tuck in both remaining points from the piece that’s now on the bottom into the top piece.
* Now enjoy your completed origami ninja star!
The model is very well balanced and will fly well if thrown quickly.
Please don’t throw it at people or animals!